Nutripro Portion Awareness - Redesigning Desserts
Tips for making dessert a permissible indulgence.
While many people see dining out as a treat, 38 percent said they skip dessert in order to eat more healthfully.1 However, there are many ways to make dessert a permissible indulgence at the end of a meal.
Here they are:
- Replace heavy, cream-based desserts with yogurt-based desserts.
- Serve fruit between layers of mousse, creams, or cake.
- Provide poached fruit options.
- Instead of dusting with powdered sugar, use cocoa or spices, like cinnamon.
- Replace rich, creamy sauces with shaved dark chocolate or fruit coulis.
- Serve aerated desserts.
- Garnish with edible flowers, herbs, spices (cinnamon stick, star anise) or fresh fruit.
- Offer miniature versions of desserts like cakes, tarts, or custards.
Did you know?
Miniature desserts have been making a big impression since the 18th century, when the French introduced petits fours
1. NPD Group, 2013