Sometimes simple isn’t satisfying. Flavored and specialty coffees are trending up, and business operators are now tasked with offering more than a typical cup of joe. Here are a few tips for adding a sweet twist or spicy accent to traditional black coffee.
- Spices: a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice highlights warm flavors without adding any calories, perfect for a chilly fall morning.
- Extracts: a drop of vanilla or coconut extract adds both aroma and flavor to a simple brew.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: one teaspoon is enough to combat coffee’s natural bitters for a rich sweet treat.
- Simple Syrup: it’s all in the name. Simply dissolve equal parts sugar in water over heat. Add a drop or two of extract to flavor the syrup – vanilla, nut or peppermint – and store in the fridge up to a month. Simple syrup mixes well with both hot and cold coffee.
Too simple? Step it up a notch to wow your customers with blended or cocktail-style coffee drinks. These NESCAFÉ Alegria recipes are complex in taste, but simple to make.
Mocha Crème Dream
Makes (1) 12 oz serving
- Grated chocolate
- Ice cubes - ½ cup
- Chilled brewed coffee - 4 oz
- Coffee-mate Café Mocha Liquid Creamer Singles - 3 containers
- Coffee liqueur - 2-3 oz (optional)
- Rim 12 oz mug or heatproof glass in water and then grated chocolate.
- Place remaining ingredients in blender
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into prepared glass and serve.
Peppermint Mocha Café Au Lait
Makes 1 serving
- Hot brewed coffee - 4 oz
- Steamed milk - 2 oz
- Coffee-mate Peppermint Mocha Liquid Creamer Singles - 2 containers
- Combine all ingredients in 10 oz mug or heatproof glass.
- Stir and serve.