Casual/Family Style/Fine Dining
- When guests choose smaller portions, use smaller plates to help them perceive a better value.
- Where the practice is acceptable, offer to wrap uneaten food so guests can finish it at home.
- Set up a collection point in the dish room where usable food scraps can be salvaged for composting. Train staff to separate food scraps from garbage to prevent contamination of compost.
Fast Casual/Takeout/Business & Institutions
- Replace disposable service items with compostable or biodegradable options when possible.
- Where paper napkins are used, offer 1-2 per guest instead of unlimited access.
- Help guests dispose of items properly on-site by providing separate bins for composting, recycling, and trash along with pictures and simple instructions.
- Provide compostable containers for takeout, along with instructions on how to do so.