Red wine vinegar
White onion, julienne
Carrot, sliced 1/8 inch
Celery, sliced 1/8 inch on bias
Lamb shanks, frenched
Minor’s® Classical Reductions Reduced Brown Stock Gluten Free, prepared broth
White onion, 3/4 inch dice
Carrot, sliced 3/4 inch
Celery, sliced 3/4 inch
- In an 8 qt. container, add red wine, vinegar, onion, carrot, celery, and pickling spice; stir to combine. Add lamb shanks, cover with lid, and marinate for 3 to 5 days, turning each day.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove lamb from marinade, transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and pat dry.
- In a medium braising pan over medium-high heat, add oil and sear lamb shanks on all sides until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove lamb shanks and transfer to a sheet pan.
- Add remaining onion, carrot, celery, and garlic to the pan and cook until vegetables are caramelized, about 4 minutes.
- Strain marinade, add to braising pan, and reduce by half. Add lamb shanks back to the pan and cover by three-quarters with the brown stock.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake for 2 hours or until lamb is tender, but not falling off the bone.
- Remove lamb from the braising liquid and set aside. Strain liquid and reduce to preferred flavor profile. Thicken if necessary, using a cornstarch slurry. Return shanks to liquid and finish with parsley, tarragon, and butter.
Serve with herb and whole grain mustard spaetzle.