Simple Signature Desserts
Desserts have always been a potential goldmine for add-on sales…if they’re craveable and well-merchandised. But lacking a dedicated dessert or pastry chef, the challenge for operators lies in creating memorable desserts that customers won’t be able to resist. Here are some tips for signature sweets within reach.
Devise the very best version of childhood favorites and retro comfort classics. Even customers who didn’t grow up with these desserts have a collective fondness for the sentimental familiarity.
- Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Pudding
- Hand Pies
- Whoopie Pies
Tap Into the Hotness
What’s the next salted caramel or dark chocolate? While these now-classic flavors are evergreen, new ones are emerging. Add trending flavors and ingredients to blank-canvas desserts such as cakes/cupcakes, ice cream and soft serve, panna cotta and crème brulee, cheesecake, and more.
- Matcha (+271.5%)
- Hibiscus (+73.2%)
- Nutella (+48.1%)
- Guava (+43.4%)
- Blood Orange (+38.3%)
- Greek Yogurt (+28.1%)
Popular brands convey powerful connotations of quality and inclusivity. They’re also easy to incorporate into desserts and to call out on the menu. Extra points for using a well-known local or artisanal brand.
- Premium Spirits
- Local Ice Cream
- Artisanal Chocolate
- Locally Made Desserts
Beyond mousse and tiramisu there’s a whole world’s worth of desserts that American diners are finding increasingly interesting.
- Mochi – Japanese filled or flavored rice cakes
- Baklava – Turkish layered pastry made with phyllo and chopped nuts, sweetened with syrup or honey
- Beignets – A donut-like French fritter or deep-fried pastry
- Crostata – An Italian baked pie or tart, often filled with fruit
- Churros – Fried sweetened dough, popular in Mexican, Spanish, and Portuguese cuisine
- Kulfi – From India, a frozen custard often flavored with cardamom, mango, and/or pistachio
Put It Over the Top
Dessert is one area where diners sometimes go overboard. If one chocolate dessert is great, a sampler of chocolate cake, mousse, ice cream, and truffles is probably even better.
- Elaborate Ice Cream Sundaes
- Cream-filled Pastries
- Samplers and Oversize Shareables
- Desserts Baked to Order
- Belgian Waffles
- Multi-Layer Cakes
The information provided is based on a general industry overview, and is not specific to your business operation. Each business is unique and decisions related to your business should be made after consultation with appropriate experts.